Sunday, March 2, 2014

2014 Oscars: And The Oscar Goes To...

Let's take a look at the major categories in preparation for tonight:


Photo Courtesy of: Wikimedia
GabboT under CC BY-SA 2.0 License


Best Picture

What Should Win: Dallas Buyers' Club-Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto both deliver powerful performances as business partners with AIDS who do their best to circumvent the medical system in order to provide other AIDS patients with alternative medicinal options that provide effective treatment but are not approved by the FDA in the 1980s.


What Will Win: My fear is that Gravity will win because it just seems like the type of film that the academy gravitates toward (sorry, no pun intended).  Don't get me wrong, when I saw Gravity I really wanted to like it, but all it really has going for it is the breathtaking visual effects.  Dallas Buyers' Club and 12 Years a Slave are much more deserving in my opinion.

Best Director

Who Should Win: Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave-McQueen helps a brilliantly scripted piece about the trials and tribulations of a freed black man wrongly kidnapped and sold into slavery in Civil War era America.  No one should ever have to experience the ills of slavery in their lifetime.


Who Will Win: Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity-He's won every major award given out up to point, so it probably won't change.  I'll say it once again.  Even though the visual effects are stunning, there's not much else appealing about this film, which is disappointing.  Maybe the fact that it's only an hour and a half long. That's a positive takeaway.


Best Actor in a Leading Role

Who Should Win: Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers' Club-Mr. McConaughey literally transformed himself into a man living with AIDS by losing over 30 pounds for the role.  His character was also easy to root for.


Who Will Win: McConaughey.  No contest here.  My honorable mention goes to Bruce Dern for Nebraska.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Who Should Win: Jared Leto for Dallas Buyer Club-See McConaughey description above.  The only difference being Leto portrays a transsexual.


Who Will Win: Leto.  No contest here.  My honorable mention goes to Barkhad Abdi for Captain Phillips.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Picture courtesy of Wikimedia
Kristin Dos Santos under CC BY-SA 2.0 license

Who Should Win: Amy Adams for American Hustle-I must confess.  Other than Sandra Bullock, I have not seen the other nominated performances.  Given how I feel about Gravity, you could probably understand why I went with Amy Adams.


Who Will Win: Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine

Best Actress in a Supporting Role


Who Should Win: June Squibb for Nebraska-She played the frustrated older wife of Bruce Dern's Woody Grant so well.  The whole movie was pretty entertaining and very funny.  Some of the stuff her character says, I know I've never heard my mother or grandmother say out loud.


Who Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle-I love Jennifer Lawrence and just about anything she's in.  The Academy loves her too and she is their new darling.  I just felt there were other more deserving nominees this time around.

So there you have it.  Those are my final picks and predictions for tonight.  Now we wait and see how close I came tomorrow morning.



Tim Musick
Copyright 2014
All Rights Reserved

  

No comments:

Post a Comment